The primary audience for this course is database and business intelligence (BI) professionals who are familiar with data warehouses and enterprise BI solutions built with SQL Server technologies. Experienced data analysts who want to learn how to use Microsoft technologies for self-service analysis and reporting will also benefit from attending this course.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe key features and benefits of self-service BI.
- Use SQL Server Reporting Services to implement a self-service reporting solution.
- Use PowerPivot in Microsoft Excel to create analytical data models.
- Use Power Query in Microsoft Excel to import data into a data model.
- Use Power View in Microsoft Excel to create interactive data visualizations.
- Use Power Map in Microsoft Excel to create geographic data visualizations.
- Use Microsoft SharePoint Server to implement collaborative self-service BI solutions.
- Find and use public data in the Windows Azure Marketplace.
- Use Microsoft Office 365 Power BI to implement cloud-based self-service BI solutions.
- Provision and use a Windows Azure HDInsight cluster for Big Data analysis.
- Use Pig and Hive to analyze big data in Windows Azure HDInsight.
- Design and implement Big Data processes to support self-service BI.
This course requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
- Knowledge of data warehousing and data modeling principles.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013.
Module 1: Introduction to Self-Service Business Intelligence
This module introduces self-service BI.
- Extending Enterprise BI
- Microsoft Self-Service BI and Big Data Technologies
Module 2: Self-Service Reporting
This module describes how to use Report Builder as a tool for self-service Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services report authoring.
- Introduction to Self-Service Reporting
- Shared Data Sources and Datasets
- Report Parts
Module 3: Self-Service Data Modeling with PowerPivot
This module describes how to use PowerPivot in Microsoft Excel to create self-service data models for analysis.
- Creating Data Models in Excel with PowerPivot
- Using DAX in a PowerPivot Data Model
Module 4: Importing Data with Power Query
This lesson describes how to use Power Query in Microsoft Excel to find and import data.
- Introduction to Power Query
- Using Power Query to Import Data
Module 5: Visualizing Data with Power View in Microsoft Excel
This module describes how to use Power View in Microsoft Excel to create interactive data visualizations.
- Introduction to Power View
- Creating Dynamic Data Visualizations
Module 6: Visualizing Geographic Data with Power Map
This module describes how to use Power Map in Microsoft Excel to create geographic data visualizations.
- Introduction to Power Map
- Using Power Map
Module 7: Collaborative BI with Microsoft SharePoint Server
This module describes how to use Microsoft SharePoint Server in an enterprise environment to enable users to share PowerPivot workbooks and Power View reports.
- Sharing PowerPivot Workbooks
- Managing PowerPivot Services in SharePoint Server
- Using Power View in SharePoint Server
Module 8: The Windows Azure Marketplace Data Market
This module describes how to find and use datasets in the Windows Azure Marketplace.
- Introduction to the Windows Azure Marketplace
- Using Windows Azure Marketplace Data in Microsoft Excel
Module 9: Cloud Collaboration with Power BI for Microsoft Office 365
This module introduces Power BI for Microsoft Office 365, and describes how to use it for cloud-based, collaborative self-service BI.
- Introduction to Power BI
- Natural Language Queries with Q&A
- Sharing Queries
- The Data Management Gateway
Module 10: Introduction to Big Data and Windows Azure HDInsight
This module introduces Big Data concepts and describes the key features of Windows Azure HDInsight.
- Introduction to Big Data
- Windows Azure HDInsight
Module 11: Processing Big Data with Pig and Hive
This module introduces Pig and Hive, and describes how you can use them to process Big Data in Windows Azure HDInsight.
- Processing Big Data with Pig
- Processing Big Data with Hive
Module 12: Implementing Big Data Processing Solutions with Windows Azure HDInsight
This module introduces key Windows Azure HDInsight technologies that enable you to design and implement automated, repeatable Big Data processing solutions that support self-service BI.
- Automating Big Data Processing Tasks
- Integrating Windows Azure HDInsight with Enterprise Data